Monday, June 22, 2015

Let me recommend a book!

I love book recommendations, and they are probably my favorite thing to read on a postcard or in a letter. I even have a "books" tag for those posts that have them -->

So when I saw this swap for book recommendations, I couldn't help myself! Here you go, swap partners!

Swap-bot swap: ESG: Let me recommend a book!
click image for swap page
Prompt:
So for this swap you will recommend a book to your partners!
You should include:
  • the title of the book
  • the name of the author
  • a short synopsis (no spoilers!)
  • short explanation why you like the book
The book I recommend most to people is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot.


Whether you like fiction or non-fiction, it does matter (narrative non-fiction is a godsend you guys).

So Henriette Lacks had cancer, her cells were taken for research, and ended up helping us create the Polio vaccine and all these wonderful things have happened because of her cells. Only, she and her family had no idea. Billions of dollars, and her family is destitute (some are even homeless). This book is about her and her family, but it's also about the medical field and what rights we have to our own medical waste. It's a phenomenal book!

I liked this book for a few reasons. The writing is great, I love reading books set in other times, and I love human rights / human interest stories.

Happy Reading everyone!

-Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment